Old 31-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

Default What do you do ...

Ol' Thornfinger wrote:

.....with your rose petals? I just can't stand throwing them out.

For the first few years I dried them on paper towels on the formal dining
table I hardly ever use, then put them in those mason-jar style clear
canisters. I also dried some roses whole in the attic and discovered, for
example, that Lagerfeld, when dried whole, is pure, dark PURPLE, no mauve
in sight.

You could do all sorts of things with them--make potpourri for Christmas
presents, perhaps. You can get information and equipment at any craft
store--silica gel for faster drying, drying racks. One thing that stopped
me is that I love fresh roses, but find the scent of dried roses and/or
rose oil cloying. Drying them in a dark, cool place preserves color.
Nothing preserves the good fresh rose scent.

First time poster, long time rose grower.

Welcome!! Where are you? I am in Raleigh, NC.