Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
J. J. is offline

Default When Plants Do Not Thrive

It's odd, but every year some things get better and others get worse
with respect to my backyard vegetable garden.

This is indeed a slow way to learn. So I ask your advice.

For the past two consecutive seasons, my tomatoes and cucumbers for some
reason have not flourished as I know they could/should have.

The transplants just kind of sit there -- and do nothing!

Sure, I get a flower or two here or there, but not the abundance of
fruit that I once had.

And that's the kicker -- when I started five years ago I did nothing but
turn over a patch of lawn and set the transplants in. They thrived.

Now that I'm a "gardener", they're suffering. Crikey! I must be reading
too many gardening books.

Nowadays, four and five years later, the tomato/cuke plants just sit
there. Sure I water them. But here in July they're not much bigger than
the transplants I set out in mid May.

They ain't dying but they ain't growing neither.

I've set up a watering system, amended soil with peat, lime, straw, or
other organic matter, but ....

The corn and beans are doing well -- better than they've ever done --
but the tomatoes, onions and cukes are languishing, the asparagus is
just as fern like as it has always been, and the lettuce/mustard patch
is just so-so. All plots of soil in this raised bed garden have been
handled/treated in the same way over the years -- a dose of 10-10-10 in
Spring, set out plants, grow plants, cover with grass/mulch in winter,
start over.

Zone 5b, NY, 20 miles due north of NYC. I see blooming fields all
around, just not mine.

Any suggestions?

J.