Old 31-03-2003, 07:08 PM
WNeptune

Default manipulating life cycle in nobile type dends.

Also, with these dends, what are the limits on how often they can be induced
to bloom. For example, living in Ontario, I can arrange for two periods of
quite cool temperatures, at which time I can easily arrange for them to be
dry too. Obviously these periods would be six months apart: spring and
autumn. Would they be able to complete a cycle of new peudobulbs produce
and flowering in six months, or do they really really require the better
part of a year to grow followed by a resting period of several months of
cool dry conditions? In other words, just how short can these two phases
be? I understand the origin of the annual cycle, but in cultivation just
how adaptable can they be?

Cheers,

Ted

Although you may be able to manipulate the cool temperatures, you are unable to
manipulate the warm temperatures and sunshine in Canada.
Nobiles flower on mature growth, and in nature this is after the end of the
second year, with the first year being interrupted by cool weather, which
initiates flower production on the previous years growth which has now matured.
The only one I know of that manipulates flower production in nobiles is
Yamamoto, in HI. If you will note new flowering plants from his nursery, you
will see that flowers are on this years growth; and there is usually new growth
which in your growing area will not flower until two years from now.
He does this by growing this years growth to maturity, at sea level (warm) in
HI, and then taking them to his other nursery in the mountains where they
receive cool temperatures which initite flower formation.