Old 12-07-2007, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Crocus squirrrel protection

Uncle Marvo wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

"Broadback" wrote in message
Thinking of planting crocus for naturalising around a damson tree. I
believe squirrels find them a delicacy. If I plant the bulbs then
bury wire netting just below the surface would that protect them,
and still allow them to grow successfully? TIA

Should be OK.
You can dip the bulbs in paraffin as well. Apparently the squirrels
en mice don't like the smell !
Jenny

They hate marigolds as well. I have put a few around things I particularly
didn't want to be eaten, and it seems to work.

I presume you also take steps to keep the thrice-cursed slugs from
eating the marigolds? They've had all mine this year, except for two on
the kitchen windowsill and I wouldn't put it past them to try for those.

--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put