Old 12-07-2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Container Gardening - Growing Vegetables.

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:16:27 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

The other issue is that most plants don't want the soil to be hot. If the
plants are in the sun, the pots will be at least as hot as the surrounding
air, sometimes hotter. Find a way to shade the pots, but not the plants
themselves. Use the bigger ones to shade the smaller ones, for instance.

Not to nitpick, but you can also use the smaller ones to shade the
larger ones. I elevate some larger pots, then have medium ones in
front and small ones on the third tier down. The foliage from each
lower tier shades the upper tier. Use small pots at the lower level
with draping foliage to shade their own container.

The point being the same as yours.

I have one pot of currant tomatoes, large pot at that, that needs a
minimum of two waterings per day. I tried more cherry tomatoes in a
five gallon bucket. They are doing well, but it takes at least three
waterings per day.

Charlie

A former neighbor used RIT dye to make burlap a bit closer in color to the
bricks behind her potted plants, and draped it over the pots for shade.
Worked nicely. Burlap is a highly underrated tool for the gardener. I gave a
roll to a beginner gardener as a housewarming gift, and got a "what's this
for?" reaction. (I think she was more impressed with the Tupperware and wine
glasses from other party guests). But, a year later, she commented that the
burlap gets used for all sorts of things.