Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default small bees in ground

there is some theory that some people release pheromones that disturb
bees and wasps. my DH (who carries an epi-pen) went to visit another
teacher to play chess and instead was given a tour of his bee hives.
he was suited up in a white coverall made of cotton and told they dont
like synthetic and white is least disturbing color. a complete cover
up along with a shower with unscented soap may be the least likely to
attract or disturb.

as a smoker I am rarely approached by bees or wasps. they have those
little canisters that produce smoke bee keepers use. perhaps one of
those? if you do find a nest, run a hose from the car exhaust to near
the entrance and maybe you can drive them off.

Ingrid

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:15:40 -0400, Ann wrote:

janet expounded:

Because of the desensitization shots, I can probably tolerate one bee
sting, but not the several that are likely to result if I accidentally
step on a nest.

Well, keep in mind that most of the pollinators don't live in the
ground in gardens, bumblebees do live in ground nests but not where
people are cultivating gardens. Yellowjackets also live in the
ground, nasty buggers, but they aren't pollinators.

I'm a two year beekeeper and a 35 year gardener and in all those years
I have yet to be stung by anything. Don't move fast, don't flail
around them if they're working your flowers, and I can practically
guarantee you won't be stung.

Of course keep that epi-pen nearby! )