Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Invader

ghb624 wrote:
Please see photo, via link below. We caught a few of these guys today,
crawling around on the tomato plant vines. Wonder if anybody can
advise what the white things are, attached to the caterpillar's back.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2...rpillaron6.jpg

Wow. Haven't seen one of those since I was a little kid in Pennsylvania.
It used to be my job to go out to the garden every morning and pick them
off of the tomato plants and toss them into the burn barrel. What you've
got is a tomato hornworm. Nice picture by the way. And I think that the
white "pods" on it means that it has been parasitized by one of its
predators but I'll leave that for someone else to verify.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/hornworm.htm

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]