Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Mulching: the great con

"Garden Guy" wrote in message

You're ****ing stupid if you think that crass clippings aren't
collected for use in municple compost because of the chemicals that
people *might* put on it (those chemicals have long since degraded
and
broken down before the grass is cut and will further degrade when
composted).

And you're ****ing stupid if you think that grass clippings aren't
collected for use in municipal compost. They are here. There was a
problem with one chemical carrying over in the compost that would
prevent some plants from growing. I believe its use has been
discontinued locally.

The stubble left after food crops are harvested are turned back
under
the soil. You can't do that for grass clipping left on the lawn
(but
that's what really needs to be done if you are to recycle any
nutrients they have).

I hire worms to do it for me here. Pay is low, performance is great.
They love it.

You do want to feed your worms, don't you?

And, you disagree with that? Are you saying that grass
clippings have no nutritional value to turf?

What ever value they have, it does not outweigh the negative aspects
of leaving them on the grass, and can easily be replicated by a
single
application per season of a liquid or granular fertilizer.

I have seen no evidence of negative aspects, when done properly.

And what ever nutritional value crass clippings are purported to
have,
it's apparently not enough to be attractive or desirable for
municiple
composting operations, where grass clippings are avoided through the
application of a $1 a bag tipping fee, even though given their
massive
stocks of other yard waste it would be easy to incorporate the grass
into that material stream where the grass would be evenly
distributed
and anerobic decay would be prevented.

There are no such problems where I live. But then again, I'd never
give away my lawn clippings when I do bag (like during cottonwood
season). They make great compost, which my garden loves. It's a lot
cheaper than buying it back from the city.

Bob