Old 12-07-2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Predatory Birds

~ jan wrote:

Straight out from my deck, less than a mile, we had an update done
(widening) to our freeway system that crosses the Yakima delta. Due to new
regulations, funding is now available to put back any natural habitat that
was used when progress encroaches. A wise investment, imo. One of the uses
was to put up several poles with platforms for large birds of prey, Eagles
and Osprey are possible, to nest.

Not until yesterday did I notice that one of the platform can seen from my
front windows. While extremely excited by that fact, I'm a little worried.
My ponds would be a maneuver to get into, but probably possible by the
determined. How worried should I be? I've never heard of either of these
birds coming into a neighborhood pond elsewhere in the city where they
must be nesting close to other ponds. Course... it would take the right
ponder to spread the news. ~ jan

Ospreys like to dive (feet first) from some height, so at worst, horizontal
netting, above head height, should keep them out. Eagles I can't see being
a threat - I've seen them eyeing my Schnauzer from the tree line, but I've
never seen a sign that they'd risk such close contact with people (perhaps
that might depend on circumstance though - not too far away a community
with a lot of chicken farms supports a large overwintering colony of
Eagles; I expect they're much less concerned about people).
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated