Old 13-07-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default pools - slightly off topic

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:45:36 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

hey y'all,

dummy needs help again...........lol

my 2 yr old son has a small swimming pool that i let him play in while i
work in the garden. it is 8x5 and only about 4 inches deep. was
wondering this:

is there anything i can add to the water (besides chlorox) to keep the
mildew and algae from building up in it? i need something that will be
gentle to his skin. currently, i am draining the pool and cleaning it,
then filling it back up again the next time i need to work in the
garden. with the drought, i need to cut it back on water use. does
anyone have any suggestions on what i can use to let the water last a
few days before i need to drain and clean again?

thanks,
rae

You have a problem. Algae grows as a result of heat, sunlight and
nutrients. Good luck keeping it out. It is tough and persistent.

You can use algaecides, but I know you wouldn't and I wouldn't either.
Shocking the pool with high levels of chlorine, eg Shock&Swim is
effective, but you need to remove the dead algae thru filtration. And
filtration is not available on your wading pool. Shock and Swim is
not what you want on his skin, if you don't want to use chlorox either.

Covering your pool when not in use to prevent sunlight can help.

Can you run the water to the horse tank after he swims, recycle it that
way? Horses shouldnn't mind a little boy pee!;-)

Are you watering your garden? Use the pool water to water your plants
and refill for him each time, then after use, water the garden. You're
not talking about major amounts of water in this size pool and depth.

If you are using well water, how high is your nitrate level? Nitrates
encourage and feed algae.

Or, let him enjoy with algae. I remember swimming in farm ponds and
horse tanks when a kid and a little algae was ok. Good hose off after!
;-)

http://www.wikihow.com/Eliminate-and...-Swimming-Pool

Charlie

A pool guy can probably help you. A small amount of citric acid (I can't
remember the name of the acid that they use in pools) will make the Cl2
more effective. Also as Charlie said, if you could make a pool cover,
like an ol' tarp, for when the pool isn't being used.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/