Old 31-03-2003, 07:33 PM
jane

Default Will my clematis sieboldii survive?

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:26:18 +0100, Rachel Sullivan
wrote:

~In article , K
writes
~
~"Keith" wrote in message
~: Mine is in a big pot underneath an evergreen bush. It's survived the snow
~: and the frost and is now growing pretty fast.
~: Even c. cirrhosa 'Freckles' is doing pretty well. I'm having more trouble
~: with the normal hybrids than the difficult to grow varieties.
~:
~: Keith (West London)
~:
~'
~My sieboldii survived the snow, too. It didn't seem to like the recent
~frosty nights and warm days.
~
~'Freckles' is next on my list to try. Is it a particularly difficult one?
~
~
~Not as difficult as sieboldii. It seems to be like most of the
~evergreens - unpredictable. It's not as hardy as armandii, but OK on a
~sheltered wall - though I know it tolerates poorer conditions than that
~perfectly well ... if it feels helpful.

What I'd love to know is how to get a bog standard C Balearica to flower.
But as you said, it's unpredictable!
I've had one three years now, bought from Taylors Clematis nursery, it's
about 10' long (if I unwind it from the trellis) and is still refusing to
bud. I asked at BBC GW last year (Nat clematis soc) what to do and they
said feed it with phostrogen. I did, but again nothing this winter. I also
had this problem with C tangutica. Same solution, same sheltered
south-facing fence, and it flowered it's hat off.

*sigh*

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!