Old 13-07-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default pools - slightly off topic

Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:45:36 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

snip
You have a problem. Algae grows as a result of heat, sunlight and
nutrients. Good luck keeping it out. It is tough and persistent.

You can use algaecides, but I know you wouldn't and I wouldn't either.
Shocking the pool with high levels of chlorine, eg Shock&Swim is
effective, but you need to remove the dead algae thru filtration. And
filtration is not available on your wading pool. Shock and Swim is
not what you want on his skin, if you don't want to use chlorox either.

no deeper than the pool is, i would hate to have to use stuff like that

Covering your pool when not in use to prevent sunlight can help.

the dog thinks the current blue tarp is his blanket - keeps running off
with it.........

Can you run the water to the horse tank after he swims, recycle it that
way? Horses shouldnn't mind a little boy pee!;-)

hadn't thought about that. romeo (the horse here at the house) has a
barrel that he drinks out of - normally i run the water hose to it, but
might try something different - skip to next comment

Are you watering your garden? Use the pool water to water your plants
and refill for him each time, then after use, water the garden. You're
not talking about major amounts of water in this size pool and depth.

no higher than the pool is, that would be a bit of running back and
forth with a cup and bucket! lol, might could make a new game out of
that with wyatt.

If you are using well water, how high is your nitrate level? Nitrates
encourage and feed algae.

yep, on well water - don't know anything else about it........don't even
know that it's ever been tested.

Or, let him enjoy with algae. I remember swimming in farm ponds and
horse tanks when a kid and a little algae was ok. Good hose off after!
;-)

http://www.wikihow.com/Eliminate-and...-Swimming-Pool

Charlie

rae