Old 13-07-2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gareee© Gareee© is offline

Default Man wins over beast!

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
We've still had very little rain here as well.. had a nice shower
yesterday for about 4 hours, to that helped. After the harsh last cold
snap did a lot of damage to plants and trees around (killing off my
damned
Japanese maple!)

How cold was that? They survive our winters in Nova Scotia.

I forget honestly, bu tit was late april, and many plants were already
trying to take off. We see dead branches on a lot of local trees and stuff
in our yard that were doing great the year before.. and it wasn;t one
freeze, it was two, about 2 weeks apart in april. The first one killed off
all the leaves that were budding off a lot of trees, and then they tried to
come back, with 2 weeks of 70 degree weather, and then the second freeze
nailed all that new regrowth.

Hear that sound?? It's thousands of tiny little violins :-) (well, it
might
actually be the locusts...). Up here, even with the greenhouse, it's
August before we get tomatoes. My asparagus has just finished (though
that's because we went away for a week and it bolted - if we'd kept up
with
it, it would still be pickable).

I read if you keep cutting back asparagus, that you'l keep getting edible
shoots all season long.

It's been working on our 1 3 year plant here, but we have a bunch of 1 year
plants that are still too young to harvest from.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)