Old 13-07-2007, 05:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Rick Yerke[_2_] Rick Yerke[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaned Out By A Heron :(

In article , "Martin Harran" wrote:
Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron cleaned
it out last week

Anyway, I've had a problem with murky water last few years, all tests
showing it ok* and no problem with sick or dying fish, I've put it down to a
probable combination of the pond getting too much sun and too few plants
for the number of fish.

I put in some extra plants last year and I'm wondering if I should now leave
the pond for a year with no fish to get rid of the murkiness in the water.
Any opinions on this?

(*I have a UV filtering system and there's a waterfall in the pond which
obviously helps the oxygenation)

I had a visit from a Heron last year and it ate quite a few of my fish.I
thought it had eaten them all, but some were hiding and didn`t show themselves
for a couple of weeks.I even had a decoy Heron in my pond ,but that obviously
didn`t work. Rick