Old 13-07-2007, 07:58 AM posted to soc.history,sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany
a_plutonium a_plutonium is offline

Default animals like corrals; using brush as a natural-fence ANIMAL STORIES

a_plutonium wrote:
kauhl-meersburg wrote:

leaves must have some other ingredients than grass, which is like spice
for cattle - by this method I solve my hedge growing problem, everyday
an armful of fresh branches as dessert

cheers kauhl

Yes, the corral area I keep the donkey, horse and Llama are near a
artesian well so there is always
water available and it is cool over there in summer hot days. But the
three have eaten nearly all the grass
and have turned the ground to dirt. The donkey and horse like to be
next to one another and have a
dirt-roll pad and the Llama has his own dirt roll pad.

So what I do is let them out into other pastures during the day when I
can monitor them so as to not
lose any plants that I have landscaped and at nights I put them back
into the corral. To get them back
into the corral, I bribe them with a fig-newton and then shut the
gate. The donkey and Llama always
fall for the bribe, but the horse is catching on in wisdom and is
beginning to hesitate over the fig newton
versus the green pasture. One of these future days, the horse will
turn down the fig newton and stay
put in the pasture.

And because the corral is now nearly barren except for bullrushes, I
cut off branches of weed trees and throw
them into the corral which keeps them eating until the next day to let
out into the pastures.

So I think that a corral for night and pasture in daytime is a good
way of keeping animals.

And I find that as I build more fencing and get more pastureland into
use, that I sometimes need temporary
fencing and so I stack up alot of brush and logs and wood. It has
worked well so far, but must keep an eye
out on that since these animals are not dumb and when they see greener
plants elsewhere they continually
test their confines.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium