Old 13-07-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Slugs and Snails Advice

Smiler writes:
One of the most effective ways to address the problem is a nightime
ambush. Using a torch, just go round and collect them all up and
either squish them underfoot or if you prefer, take your prisoners on

Please, please, please give a prominent mention to the Leopard Slug,
the good guy among slugs. He (it) is an impressively large carnivorous
slug which eats up the common slugs. Unless gardeners know of this,
they will gleefully stomp on him in the belief he is a pest.

In appearance, the Leopard Slug is light brown-grey with darker
stripes, hence the name. We have it in Australia, I don't know its
country of origin or how widely distributed it is, but to the
gardener it is worth its weight in gold.

The Leopard Slug has one fatal attraction: his athletic physique means
he invariably gets to any snail pellet ahead of the bad guys. :-((
That's one good reason for not using snail bait. If he doesn't take
the bait directly, he'll probably get poisoned when he dines on the
carcass of a slug that did tangle with a pellet.