Old 13-07-2007, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default Oh No

Bob,

First of all ...are they doing damage?

If you can sqeeze them between your fingers they sound like they are too
large to be mites.

I get little black beetles smaller than a pinhead that hang out on the vanda
baskets. They don't appear to do any damage to anything. I've had them for
years. They move fast and crunch like you said.

They seem to like the wood in the basket but don't bother the plants.

Good growing,
Gene

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message

I was checking out my Den unicum this morning when I noticed some
small dots moving very quickly. Checked them under the glass and
they are very dark bulbous creatures but they seem to have a
hard shell when pinched between the fingers and have a small
head and legs in front. Ok quick check, they might be spider
mites. I hit the plant with neem/soap mixture and set the plant
down for a few minutes. I came back and checked again and now
they were everywhere and on a march. SH__! I poured iso alcohol
over the mount and now they seem to be drunk and passed out.
Next I treated the mounts on either side with neem but found
no evidence. I love this plant, it just finished blooming
dozens of flowers and has two new growths twice as large
as any when I bought it. Does my ID and treatment sound
resonable and how soon and long before I should treat again?

Bob