Old 13-07-2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Oh No

Hi, Bob,

For mites: 2 Tbsp. cooking oil, 2 Tbsp. dish soap (not the grease cutting
type - use Ivory or something mild) to 1 gal. water. Mix well and spray the
plant, especially the undersides of the leaves, to the point of run off.
Repeat every 5 days or so until the problem is gone. And remember that they
may not be exclusive to that plant.

As to alcohol, we use it any time we see a mealie or certain types of soft
scale. Thank heaven we don't see that often, but we use alcohol freely. It
also works on certain ants.

Whatever you use, the buds don't seem to like the spray, IME.

HTH, and have fun at SBOE.....

Diana

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:26:24 GMT, Gene Schurg wrote:
Bob,

First of all ...are they doing damage?

Not that I can tell but I want to catch them before
they can spread.

If you can sqeeze them between your fingers they sound like they are too
large to be mites.

Well you can barely feel them and I can roll them between my
fingers and they don't squish like a spider would. They are
easly crushed on the mount and it lookes like there is a
shell left. Very small.

Bob