Old 13-07-2007, 09:11 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Peaches

jangchub wrote:

Well, my peach tree made a ton of peaches, all or most of which had
worms in the center, and/or brown rot. The red admirals are drunk out
there and I mean drunk and many thousands of them.

Anyway, I don't kill insects, but does anyone know of a way to prevent
brown rot aside from proper hygiene after the growing season is over.
Also, I was wondering if I can do an extreme pruning after all the
fruit has fallen off. The tree is a good umbrella shape, but it is
way too tall...about 14 feet tall. The raccoons get up in there and
poop on my canopy to mark THEIR peach tree. I don't mind, but if the
tree was shorter they can get to it without skating the canopy and
maybe I can pick the peaches easier. Does anyone have any good book
recomendations regarding peaches?

Victoria

I keep all my fruit trees pruned to ten feet tall. There are many guides
to pruning but your best recommendations for fruit trees will probably
come from your state agricultural extension service. If you're in Texas
TAMU is your friend. If you don't spray at all you probably will never
get a decent crop. I only use dormant oil spray in the winter and it has
improved my crop greatly. Proper pruning will also help in letting light
and air into the interior of the tree plus you will need to get rid of
some of the fruit so others will get bigger. HTH

George, USDA Zone 9b, SW Louisiana