Old 13-07-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Martin Harran Martin Harran is offline

Default Cleaned Out By A Heron :(

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
What a bummer. I am sorry for the losses.

On the murky water, is it particles, mud, algae? Do you have a
mechanical filter of some kind? A veggie filter serves that purpose as
well as grabbing nutrients and providing bacterial surface.

I have full Cyprio filtartaion system including UV lamp. Pond is about 1200
(uk) gallons BTW, upper pond 200 gals feeding over waterfall into 800 gal
main pond where the fish are.

I've changed water and tried barley straw and various chemical cleaners to
no avail; also took water sample to local aquatic centre and they found
water well balanced and fish are - were - doing really well in it.

The problem started about 3 years ago when I removed some plants that had
got a bit bedraggled plus put a few extra fish in so that's why I'm thinking
too many fish, not enough plants plus too much sunlight.