Old 14-07-2007, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Max Krippler Max Krippler is offline

Default H E L P: My Composter is Full of Larvae!!!

H E L P ! ! !
When I opened the hatch on my above-ground compost tumbler the entire
bottom of the thing was squirming and writhing with what I first took
to be worms. But on closer inspection I believe that these are mostly
some kind of an insect larvae-- possibly cockroaches-- and there are
thousands of them. I really don't want the composter to become the
breeding ground for a pest infestation. Is there anything I can do to
kill the buggars without ruining the compost?

I've used mostly vegetable scraps, rotten fruit and coffee grounds in
this batch...

The composter is in the shade all of the time. Do you think that
placing it in the sun (It is made of black polypropylene) would cook
them?

Thank you,
--Max