Old 14-07-2007, 05:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Scott Sansom Scott Sansom is offline

Default Selective Herbicide for Bermuda Grass

Eggs Yachted wrote:
Scott Sansom said:

Any recommendations for what is the best selective herbicide to use
against Bermuda Grass in a Fescue lawn? I've used Acclaim in the past.
It is fairly expensive and it generally does not completely kill the
Bermuda. It will brown it out and stunt its growth but it does not
eliminate it. My lawn is located in a transition zone where both Fescue
and Bermuda will grow but neither is really optimal for the area. In
fact, I'm not sure we really have an optimal grass. Our summers are hot
and dry enough to seriously challenge most Fescues (though some of the
recent drought and heat/sun tolerant variates are an improvement). Our
winters will get as low as 0 - 5 degrees F every five or six years which
will kill Bermuda. I have elected to have Fescue to have some green in
the winter months (a choice that required an in ground sprinkler system
to be realistic). My neighbors chose Bermuda so I have some
infiltration at our property lines. Fall re-seeding has kept a more or
less status quo but I have seen the Bermuda toe hold in my yard increase
slightly this year.

So, what about it? Any new selective herbicides to address Bermuda in a
Fescue lawn?

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7453.html

HTH

Informative article. Many thanks,