Old 31-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Drakanthus

Default Garden suitable for children & dog

I hope you can give me some pointers! I have a long thin garden with
a patio, but at the moment the grass area is in a right state. It's
bumpy, bare in patches, and has no definition. The dog also enjoys
using it as his personal toilet.

Trouble is I've got twin toddlers, and with the nice weather coming I
will be letting them into the garden alot more. So what is the best
thing to do with the garden? Grass is not a priority, as we back
straight onto a park. What I was thinking was large flower borders
and bark for the kids to have their slide or whatever on. My question
is, do dogs still do their business on bark? Is there anyway I can
attract the dog to a different area? I would turf the lawn but with
it being so bumpy it's going to be difficult, isn't it?

I would also like to have a small veg patch at the top of the garden.
Do dogs poo on such things?!

Any help and pointers appreciated.

Christine

We have three dogs and shortly after acquiring the property the "lawn" became
worse than it was before. In the end it looked such an eye sore I literally dug it
up, composted the sods upside down in a stack and replaced the area with gravel.
It works fine as a dog toilet since it is easy to keep clean. It also always looks
neat and tidy and is actually a good place to put garden furniture and relax in
the sunshine. I put up a small chain link fence to demark an area for the veg plot
to keep the dogs out and am growing a yew hedge through this. The dogs cock their
leg up everything they can and I didn't want my veg to be included in that! We
have a small flower border around the gravel with a small border wire frame type
fence, but that is only around 9" high and the dogs just jump over that and damage
the flowers. I made a raised flower bed about 2 feet high and that works well.
Also large tubs and containers work well since the dogs cannot pee that high!
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)