Old 14-07-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Petrol Hedge Trimmer

"Mark" wrote in message
Have just bought my first one.

I have to put 2% oil in with the petrol.

Is it okay or even normal premix, say, a 5 litre container full?

How long would it store for made up?

Make sure you use the mix recommended for the machine. Some take 25 to 1
others 50 to 1 and use proper 2 stroke oil. It is well worth buying one of
the mixing cans that have two compartments that you fill accordingly then
shake. It is good practise to always run the carb dry when you use the
machine unless you intend starting it again that day. I never keep pre mixed
fuel more than a month as I have had bad starting problems outside of that.
My Strimmer has a pump on the carb which is great for clearing out the float
bowl when switching off, and another on the fuel line to prime it ready for
the next start. Sadly my hedgecutter only has the priming pump and
consequently has to be left running to empty the carb.

On this subject, I have just fitted a petrol tap into the supply tube from
the tank to the engine on the ride on grasscutter. Now I can run that dry at
the end of the season. As long as the tank is nearly empty I can then top up
with fresh fuel, turn on the tap, and avoid first start fuel issues next
season.

Mike