Old 14-07-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Where have all the bees gone?

There is a shortage of bees. Have you not read about it? It's very
worrying for gardeners and farmers. We saw masses on Tresco, so can only
assume they've packed their little furry suitcases and headed for a clean,
warm climate!
Sacha

I'd heard some speculation that mobile phone masts may be killing them off
by confusing their sense of direction so they can't find their way back
home. I'd also heard about a mite attacking them too.

It just seems a bit sudden. Last year the flower borders were positively
buzzing. All I've noticed this year are a couple of very large "bees" with
some red on them - which presumably may be hornets? I avoided looking too
closely as they buzzed near me, choosing instead to put some distance
between them and me! They were bee/wasp shaped but about twice as long.

I've not seen any bumble bees either. The Mrs panics and runs a mile if they
go near her but I think they always look sort of 'cute' and are always much
more interested in flowers than people.

David.