Old 14-07-2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default H E L P: My Composter is Full of Larvae!!!

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 14, 8:44?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ps.com...

I have this one:http://www.composters.com/docs/bins_p4.html#sm

Yep. That's the one I have. It's excellent. With the right mix of dried
leaves and layers of green stuff, it sometimes keeps composting right
into
late December.

Sits in full sun right next to my vegetable garden:
http://i17.tinypic.com/663is0j.jpg

Has that fence been enough to keep deer out? Some shmexperts say deer
will
jump fences as high as 6 feet when tempted by the appropriate snack.

So far no deer have jumped in, and this is the fifth year since I
fenced that garden. The deer have plenty to eat around here in the
fields, even in winter because the farmers leave plenty of hay in
those huge round bales. And deer are not so dumb to jump into small
enclosed areas, they seem to know if they need a running start to jump
in they'll measure to see if they can get the same running start to
jump out. I actually see them checking out my garden, they go all
around surveying but decide it's not worth the risk.

I may try it, then. I'm tired of caging individual stuff, although it does
keep the rabbits away. I was concerned that if they jumped in, they'd do
more damage by trampling small stuff. This week, it's the daylillies they're
interested in. I just caged them so at least I get to enjoy a few flowers
this year. Last year, they munched all the buds. I have a couple of plants
that are like the common roadside ones, so I'm going to un-cage it today and
hose it down with the foulest smelling onion-garlic stuff in the universe.

Meanwhile, there's a rabbit which I thought was cooking up a way to get
under the cages. But, observation revealed that it's eating one of the
weeds. Lots of them. So for now, the bunny has escaped the stove. For now.