Old 14-07-2007, 02:47 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Peaches

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:35:56 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

I'd love some advice on that too, we haven't had a peach in 2 years!!!
The trees are strikingly beautiful when blooming though.

Do you know the chill hours on your peach? Mine is 400. Last winter
we finally had at least or close to temps below 45 for 400 hours.
Fruit trees, particularly peaches will show beautiful flowers, but if
the chill hours aren't there the blossoms abort the fruit along with
them when they fall off.

I'd wait until February to prune them. Let the leaves produce energy now.

I agree, but peaches set fruit on new wood. So, my line of thinking
was that if I cut out all the largest and oldest limbs I'd encourage
new growth. Then, in February prune it back into the scaffold I have
it pruned into now.

I'm going to go take a look at Dromgool's peach orchard at the store.