Old 14-07-2007, 02:52 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Peaches

No thank you. I am an organic gardener. If it means I won't ever get
a healthy peach, so be it, but I will not be using anything Ortho puts
out. I wouldn't trust them if it was labeled certified organic.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:39:35 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

My Ortho Problem Solver suggests spraying your peaches about 3 weeks before
harvest with a fungicide containing triforine. Besides the usual cleanup of
infected
material around the tree, next spring spray the tree as the first flowers begin
to open
with a fungicide containing either triforine or chlorothalonil as the first
flowers begin
to open. Continue spraying as the label suggests. That book again is 'The
Ortho
Home Gardener's Problem Solver'. They also have a more extensive version in a
professional edition (more expensive).

I would trap the racoons and get rid of them. If you prune, don't cut off more
than
1/3 of the tree in any season and do it in late fall or very early spring when
the tree
is dormant. I would also suggest planting a semi-dwarf tree instead of a full
standard
peach, next time.

Sherwin D.

jangchub wrote:

Well, my peach tree made a ton of peaches, all or most of which had
worms in the center, and/or brown rot. The red admirals are drunk out
there and I mean drunk and many thousands of them.

Anyway, I don't kill insects, but does anyone know of a way to prevent
brown rot aside from proper hygiene after the growing season is over.
Also, I was wondering if I can do an extreme pruning after all the
fruit has fallen off. The tree is a good umbrella shape, but it is
way too tall...about 14 feet tall. The raccoons get up in there and
poop on my canopy to mark THEIR peach tree. I don't mind, but if the
tree was shorter they can get to it without skating the canopy and
maybe I can pick the peaches easier. Does anyone have any good book
recomendations regarding peaches?

Victoria