Old 14-07-2007, 05:01 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
cat daddy cat daddy is offline

Default Peaches

"jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:35:56 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

I'd wait until February to prune them. Let the leaves produce energy now.

I agree, but peaches set fruit on new wood. So, my line of thinking
was that if I cut out all the largest and oldest limbs I'd encourage
new growth. Then, in February prune it back into the scaffold I have
it pruned into now.

An article in the Statesman yesterday about the impact of the rain had
this:
"....says Bill Psencik of the Psencik Peach Farm in Fredericksburg

"The foliage on the trees is so dense that we will have to do a lot of
summer pruning to allow adequate sunlight to enter the inside of the canopy
of the trees," Psencik says. "This can have a great effect on the amount of
next year's peach crop."

So, apparently pruning in Summer is not a bad thing.

I'm going to go take a look at Dromgool's peach orchard at the store.