Old 14-07-2007, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Where have all the bees gone?

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

I'd heard some speculation that mobile phone masts may be killing them off
by confusing their sense of direction so they can't find their way back
home.

LOL!

I'd also heard about a mite attacking them too.

The varroa mite has been in this country for decades, beekeepers are
managing their bees appropriately. Well, they are in Britain - perhaps
French beekeepers are more blasé ...

It just seems a bit sudden. Last year the flower borders were positively
buzzing. All I've noticed this year are a couple of very large "bees" with
some red on them - which presumably may be hornets? I avoided looking too
closely as they buzzed near me, choosing instead to put some distance
between them and me! They were bee/wasp shaped but about twice as long.

I can't identify it from that description :-)

I've not seen any bumble bees either. The Mrs panics and runs a mile if
they go near her

WHY???

but I think they always look sort of 'cute' and are always much more
interested in flowers than people.

All bees are. But you really have to provoke a bumble bee to sting, if it
does you deserve it.

Mary