Old 14-07-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chatnoir chatnoir is offline

Default Recovery from chlorine poisoning?

On Jul 13, 6:49 pm, San Diego Joe wrote:
I was talking with a friend and fellow ponder the other day. He noticed I
used 'Prime' for dechlorinating my water. Anyway, one subject led to another
and he asked me if fish that are subjected to chlorine poisoning always die.
It occurred to me that I didn't actually know. I always assumed they did.
But, do they? If there is an accident, how much time would you have to get
dechlorinator in the water. If the fish didn't die immediately, what is the
long term prospect? Will their gills regenerate?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Well, in my 350 gallon pond, a jury rig pump I had in the pond
suffered a fitting rupture! I had checked on it and it was doing
fine! Had to go inside for a couple of hours! The fitting ruptured
and pumped water all over my yard but not back into the pond! Had
about three inches in the pond when I discovered the disaster instead
of the 25 inches!! Had only 10 gallons of replacement water sitting
ready to add! So, I had to fill a lot of containers and add Am Quel +
and add it to the pond! So, the pond isessentially new water! Don't
know how long I had to wait for the Am Quel + to work - waited about
10 minutes before I added any treated water to the pond! Today, the
fish seem more active than ever with no ill effect! I will habve to
wait and see the effect! It sure eliminated that small strin algae!