Old 14-07-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
steve auvache steve auvache is offline

Default "Tomorite"

In article , R
writes

"steve auvache" wrote in message
In article , judith
writes
I always feed my tomatoes and invariably buy Tomorite - which always
appears to be more expensive than alternatives.

I'd be interested in other's views of the alternatives B&Q own etc -

Expensive tat when compared to the real thing.

The "Real Thing" being?

Compost...

You seem to have answered your own question.

I appreciate that the new vegetable gardener working without the benefit
of the free gifts of nature from previous seasons may have little or no
access to this wonder stuff and thus be tempted to supplement what the
plant is perfectly well equipped to remove from the soil with equally
perfectly good chemicals from a box. I can even understand them
succumbing to temptation and actually using these chemicals from a box
and wondering at the miraculous effects they achieve, in the short term.

However, continuing to tread such a path is dangerous and may lead to
reliance upon chemicals in a box which is A Bad Thing. Much better they
concentrate their time, money and effort improving their basic growing
medium in ways which benefit not just a single crop in the here and now
but anything which may follow for a number of years to come and the
immediately adjacent environment as a bonus.

Chemicals work, I have no argument to offer against this but they only
do a single, limited and expensive job. When considered in the longer
term compost works better. I recommend the benefits of it over any
short term gains purchased from other sources.

Of course, having used the chemicals properly and thus gained the short
term benefits from them, if they then compost the box the chemicals came
in then it is a different matter entirely.

It is war out there and while Chemical Warfare is fine when used against
the enemy it is intolerable to use it on those you are trying to
protect, only the very best is good enough for them.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features