Old 15-07-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Blueberries: Mason-Dixon

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:40:48 -0700, wrote:

On Jul 13, 10:21 pm, "Wuensch, Karl L." wrote:
Why are blueberries grown in the South bland while those grown in the
North are tart and tasty? Different cultivars or different climate? I live
in North Carolina but will not plant blueberries because I have never tasted
a blueberry grown south of New Jersey that tastes good. I have had a few
huckleberries from North Carolina and they were great.

Karl,

The blueberries grown here in Florida are yummy! You might want to
have your soil tested. Plants grown in the proper soil and are
getting enough nutrients/sunlight/water should be bearing tasty
fruit.

Patrick

Blueberries supposedly need winter chill. I always wanted to grow
them, but for years, there was no variety that would do well, say, in
So.Calif. Eventually, I understand, a variety was developed, but I had
lost interest, so never tried it.

Would be interesting to hear from a food scientist what it is that
makes Northern berries so much tastier.

I devour them by the bushel when they come in from Canada
and Oregon. Starting to come in from S.America too.

Persephone