Old 15-07-2007, 07:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jon Shemitz Jon Shemitz is offline

Default Freezing chiles

Aluckyguess wrote:

Same here. Just picked an ice chest full of yellow and red tomaotos I have
bell peppers that are the size of a peanut butter jar.

Can you just freeze them whoel or do you need to take the seeda out?

I waited to let someone else answer, because I only freeze hot chiles,
so am just guessing, but:

Freezing is hard on texture. That's OK if you're just looking for heat
and color, and are going to slice a still-frozen chile into tiny
pieces, but probably isn't so great for bell peppers. You might lose
all the crunch.

I think I'd roast them before I freeze them. They might hold the
roasted flavor when thawed, and you won't expect any significant
crunch.