Old 31-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Paul Kelly

Default pruning a choisya (sundance)

"SarahH" wrote in message
Hi :-)
Ive got an enormous choisya that seems to be trying to take over my
garden. Its very nice, just too big. How drastically can I prune it?

As hard as you like!

You could cut it down to a bare stem a few inches tall and it will come
back - I've done it to move a semi mature specimen!

But, it would be better to be a tad more selective! Don't just give it a
hair cut or you will end up with a bush composed entirely of old tired wood.
Instead, go in and find the oldest, longest main stems and cut those out
completely to promote new growth from the base (ideally look to cut out 1/3
of the bush), then trim back the rest to a more sensible size. Next year
(and this is an ok time to do it) repeat the exercise, and then again a year
later. that way in three years time you have a renewed and reinvigorated
plant of the size you want without ever having had an empty hole!

pk