Old 15-07-2007, 08:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Organic Farming Can Feed The World, Study Suggests

Billy Rose wrote:

In article om,
Frank wrote:

As usual, Sherwin fails to engages brain (?) before opening mouth.
Sherwin didn't you ever write a class paper before?

Oh, oh, we are back to name calling again.

On Jul 14, 1:58 am, sherwindu wrote:
This article implies that a prestigious university is backing all these
claims.

No imprimatur was implied to me,sherwindu. It could just as easily said,
"Students, Faculty members, ect., from the University of Michigan found
. . . ".
I think
it is the opinion of a certain group of researchers at U of M, and that
there
may be
an equal number of them who disagree with these findings.

Well, maybe a dissenting voice will be heard from,sherwindu. In the mean
time, what premise, what logic, what empirical studies lead you to the
conclusion that the study is flawed, divine revelation again sherwindu?

Never said it was flawed. Just not enough information to draw any conclusions.

Maybe it is flawed, but you declaring it by fiat, ain't gonna make it
so. More pointedly, these ladies have PhDs

You don't need a PhD to be on the faculty of U of M.

, sherwindu. Since you lack
proof, or logic, what credentials do you bring to lend credibility to
your assertions? Hmmm. Lord, it would be wonderful if you could make
your knowledge accessible to us sherwindu, in a rational format.

Your format is to throw out wacko articles making all sorts of unsubstanciated
claims. The great thing about our academic system is that everyone has their
own opinions on various subjects. You tend to present only the side that
pleases
you. Why don't you look at the following web site to see the other side:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Is-Org...-Is?&id=532724

Assuming that the amount of organic fertilizer is equaivalent to the
chemical
fertilizers,
there is no reason to believe that this is adequate to feed the crops.

What leap of faith leads you to this conclusion? A burning bush told you
so?
There
are issues
as to the availability of such organic fertilizers and the possible
difficulties
of applying
them. This article does not go into enough detail for anyone to draw
conclusions.

Evidently, anyone but you sherwindu, anyone but you. You have drawn a
bunch of conclusions.

One conclusion is that the department that did this study is an Enviromental
Research one, not a Department of Agriculture, Botany Department, Horticultural
Department, etc. I think this enviromental department has their own axe to
grind.
Making rash statements like this gets them a lot of publicity, but can they back
it up?

As usual, you are right and everybody else is
wrong. Carrying the mantel of such wisdom must be such a burden to you
but as far as applying the fertilizers sherwindu, they could be applied
the same as the regular crops in the fall and then disced over in the
spring.

The more difficult aspect of organic farming is fighting the insects and
fungus. In certain parts of the world like Africa, insects (usually
locusts)
can wipe out entire
crops. I'm not sure organic materials can prevent or minimize such
attacks.

Another PhD. (Michael Pollan) pointed out in Omnivore's Dilemma, that
insects are attracted to the concentration of nitrogen in the leaves of
plants fed by chemical fertilizers.

Ever see a bunch of flies around a pile of manure? The maggots love it too.
Don't forget that manure contains nitrogen.

You really should read a little more, Sherwim.

Yes, and learn to spell my name correctly Billy boy.

Again,
these researchers are not providing enough information about their studies.

Sherwindu, It's a freakin' story that was adapted from a news release
issued by University of Michigan.

Sherwin D.

I agree. Not nearly enough information to come to this conclusion.
Frank

Frank, you do realize that although sherwindu "occasionally" gets his
facts right, he is socially challenged.

Ok, going on the personal attack again. You think you can win arguements
with your 3rd grade mentality.

He will slam anyone to see his
name in print.

I think you outdo me with your postings, which are mostly drivel about things
mostly unrelated to gardening.

Lastly, if anyone wants an abstract of the paper, just drop me a line at
the above address, subject: Organic Farming pdf, and I'll email a copy
to you.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/