Old 15-07-2007, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith[_2_] judith[_2_] is offline

Default "Tomorite"

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:47:37 GMT, Wane Smooth
wrote:

After serious thinking judith wrote :
I always feed my tomatoes and invariably buy Tomorite - which always
appears to be more expensive than alternatives.

I'd be interested in other's views of the alternatives B&Q own etc -
or is it even feasible to make up your own from basic materials?

Hi Judith,You can make up liquid feed from Comfrey.
From
http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetabl...nder_Plant.php

Making Comfrey Liquid Compost or Comfrey Tea
Comfrey can be made into a wonderful liquid feed – it is quite simple.
Take a barrel or tub, cram with comfrey leaves, fill with water and
leave for 3 to 5 weeks. Warning! It will smell like an open sewer when
finished. The liquid can be used as a tomato feed. I tried this with a
tub with a tap but it was always getting blocked. Now I just ladle it
off.

Interesting I think I will give it a go.
(Not too sure about introducing it in to my small garden - I think I
will cultivate on a piece of waste land near my house ;-)