Old 15-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Where have all the bees gone?

On 15/7/07 14:46, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "David \(Normandy\)"
contains these words:

Are they just not venturing out after the recent cold wet weather or
what?
Went for a walk around the garden today and not a bee in sight. The
runner
beans are smothered in blossom but no bees and no little beans. The
flower
borders are full of blooms but no bees.

My hebe hedge was 'alive' with bees, just yesterday...haven't checked
today.

Last year someone here identified a hebe for me and advised what I should
do with it. I did but it still hasn't flowered :-(

I didn't actually recognise this particular plant as a hebe when I first
saw it. It has very elongated leaves, which come to a point. I am more
familiar with 'round-leaved' hebes. However, I struck a few cuttings,
and they all took, so I now have a hedge...the bees love the flowers,
(they are white) and looking out, it seems as if there has been a heavy
fall of snow, so crowded is the plant with flowers... I musy remember to
take cuttings when the flowering ends, as I have had so many requests for
some plants from friends and family...
'

I wonder if this is actually one of the Veronicas? Used to be known as
Hebes.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk