Old 16-07-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
hollenback hollenback is offline

Default free trees & plants site

"thistletoes" wrote in message
oups.com...

Has anyone ordered from this site? It was listed on a PC newsletter I
get, and I have wondered if what they supply is worth the modest
shipping. The plants are all bare root but "free", as explained on
their site. http://www.freetreesandplants.com/index.html
I've emailed them a couple of times with questions and have always
received a prompt and very courteous reply, but I have not yet
ordered. I was thinking of getting some bare root shrubs for this
fall.

Deb

Two years ago I purchased a number of trees and perennials from them and
after the processing and shipping charges I found that I could have gotten
better plants locally for about the same price. The trees were about a foot
tall after potting them up and the perennials were smaller than plants that
I would normally get from a local nursery or mail order.
I see on the website that they have changed the planting instructions but
when I got mine they came with instructions to pot them up and grow them in
pots till they are big enough to plant in the garden. The trees that I
planted in 5 gallon pots are now large enough that I am thinking about
planting them in the yard this fall.

If you want to support workers with disabilities you could consider what you
pay for the plants as a donation but if you want good strong plants go to a
nursery.

Bill