Old 15-07-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Ferguson[_2_] Jim Ferguson[_2_] is offline

Default Freezing chiles

"Jon Shemitz" wrote in message
Aluckyguess wrote:

Same here. Just picked an ice chest full of yellow and red tomaotos I
have
bell peppers that are the size of a peanut butter jar.

Can you just freeze them whoel or do you need to take the seeda out?

I waited to let someone else answer, because I only freeze hot chiles,
so am just guessing, but:

Freezing is hard on texture. That's OK if you're just looking for heat
and color, and are going to slice a still-frozen chile into tiny
pieces, but probably isn't so great for bell peppers. You might lose
all the crunch.

I think I'd roast them before I freeze them. They might hold the
roasted flavor when thawed, and you won't expect any significant
crunch.

We always roast a batch of New Mexico chiles every year. This causes the
skin to bubble and it can be taken off and the seeds discarded. We freeze
them in small batches and they are wonderful to add flavor to any dish,
burgers, etc.
JF