Old 16-07-2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Blueberries: Mason-Dixon

"Eigenvector" expounded:

I don't know why, but I do know that the small amount I consume at high
altitude in the Northern Cascades are infinitely better than the ones I get
in the store - or even the ones I get from the Blueberry farms that dot
Bellevue/Seattle.

Note I said small amount - plants above 5,000 feet have enough trouble
without having to worry about humans eating all their offspring.

Our home in Maine is in a pine barren (as I've mentioned before).
About 2 acres are in wild .low-bush blueberries, planted by Mother (as
in nature). Today I picked probably 2.5 lbs before the horrendous
thunderstorms forced me inside. We do very little for them, other
than removing competitive growth. Now that hubby isn't up there
fulltime we've just purchased a DR brush cutter to try to get things
under more control (the sweet fern, low growing junipers and poplars
love the same soil and will shade out the blueberries).

These berries are the tastiest things, a pain to pick, but well worth
the effort! Now for some blueberry jam making......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts