Old 16-07-2007, 11:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
thistletoes thistletoes is offline

Default free trees & plants site

On Jul 15, 10:34 pm, sherwindu wrote:
thistletoes wrote:
Has anyone ordered from this site? It was listed on a PC newsletter I
get, and I have wondered if what they supply is worth the modest
shipping. The plants are all bare root but "free", as explained on
their site.http://www.freetreesandplants.com/index.html
I've emailed them a couple of times with questions and have always
received a prompt and very courteous reply, but I have not yet
ordered. I was thinking of getting some bare root shrubs for this
fall.

Deb

First of all, it sounds like a come on. There are legitimate sites that give

away small trees to help the environment, but these people look like they
have other purposes in mind.

You may receive some tiny tiny trees which will require lots of patience
to see a decent result. For fruit trees, they may be seedlings, in which
case
you could get poor fruit and/or an ungrafted tree eventually giving you a
a very big tree, and even more delay in years to produce fruit. If you want
to save money, link up with a garden club that teaches grafting and make
your own fruit tree. Decorative trees can also be found on the web for
reasonable prices.

Sherwin D.

Ok, all your comments help a lot. I'll take a look at the sites you
have used with good results. I normally know better than to order
with a "come on" like the free product with modest shipping, but guess
I felt a little compelled because of their story. I don't have enough
time left in my life to mess around with foot tall trees. While I
might root trees, like those Aussie willows on my own, that's my
choice. I wouldn't want to pay $7.95 for two of those little wimpy
things.

Wiser now... Deb :-)