Old 16-07-2007, 08:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Mushroom Compost Feedback

David wrote:
len garden wrote:

Replying to Len's message here as I do not see the orig on my server.

g'day terry,

do i detect some dissapointment in the message??

Nope. Just my 2c. It was worth giving a try.
It is all about adding organic matter to build up the soil.

now about $4 a bag delivered is a bit pricey up here that happens for
$3 per bag.

I just felt it was cheaper to buy the components at that price.

check you phone book or do a google for mushroom farms in your general
area, even if you had to hire an 8' x 5' box trailer (carries app 80
bags), you would still be in front even if the farm charged a $1 per
bag, up here our farmer (app 40 min round trip away) charges .50c per
bag.

I'd be happy to do that actually, but I'd do a 1 tonne van load. That
would be about 40 bags, which should last a while.

The bottom line is that it is industrial waste. You are really paying
the farmer for the inconvenience and increased insurance cost.

so the bet is the guy who onsells and delivers is making a killing at
$4 per bag.

Well, vehicle running costs do have to be considered. He is prepared to
deliver over a large area.

I've just come in from winching the loaded trailer to the hitching post.
Over the next week or so, I have 6'x4'x4' of bunny poo/bedding to
spread. We seem to get that every month now.

To handle the amount, since everything (almost) is mulched, we are going
to compost in the vege garden pathways. Just dig it out every quarter.

Worth the effort. Carrots and snow peas. As my brother said whilst house
sitting "the problem with your snow peas is that none ever make it
inside, they just get eaten".