Old 16-07-2007, 01:13 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default Peaches

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:25:33 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

jangchub wrote:

I know, but not all the new growth will be in the form of water spouts
and it will be the new shoots which will produce the fruit next year.
I have nothing to lose by trying this rehab project. The tree is
producing beautiful baseball sized fruits with rot. I may have to
wait two seasons to really reap the benefits of doing this hard prune,
but I truly believe it's the only thing I can do.

Why not wait until the tree goes dormant? You may have to trim off
most of the additional growth the tree puts out because it is not growing
in a favorable direction, that is straight up. Branches should go off at
an angle for best fruit production.

My reasoning is that I am either going to remove the tree completely,
or I'm going to prune it hard. The tree will send out new shoots, of
course there will be water spouts, there already are. The foliage on
the tree is prolific, as is the fruit production, but only because we
had a cool winter.

I'm going to give it an intermediate prune this week and this way the
tree will give me new shoots for fruit in spring and in Feb (when we
prune our fruit in Texas) I'll do a heavier prune. I do know I will
have to use some type of fungicide, but it won't be anything toxic to
insects or animals. I have some research to do.

Thanks for your patience with my notions.
victoria