Old 16-07-2007, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default herb/weed id please?

On Jul 16, 10:24 am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/7/07 08:41, in article , "Charlie

Pridham" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
.. .
I was doing some badly needed weeding in the (rare) sunshine today,
and came across a weed/herb I do not know. It is low growing, with
the same type of leaf structure as flat-leaf parsley, only much more
delicate. It is a paler shade of green, too, and the leaves closer to
the soil can be even paler, nearly white, or a very odd shade of
purple.
What made me think it could be a herb is that when crushed it smell of
licorice/aniseed.
I was so enthusiastically weeding I did not take the time to take a
pic. I hope my description is enough to identify it?
TIA.

Cat(h)

Try Achillea, not sure which species but I have a low growing fine grey
green leafed weed in my grass that matches your description, has white
flowers if left long enough, aromatic but I would not have said aniseed.

I'm confused now! Original Cat said it is like flat-leaf parsley which
Ligusticum resembles but now that it is very fine and delicate. Ligusticum
does have the aniseed smell but there is something else that is almost dill
like in its leaves but I don't know the name.
My other suggestion would be Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara)

--

I'm sorry for being obviously not very gifted at describing the plant.
None of the suggestions (having googled photos of same) match my
plant.
I said it had the same leaf structure as parsley, i.e. a ferny type
leaf. However, I also said it was far more delicate, easily crushed/
bruised, very pale green, with some leaves white and even purple close
to the ground. I am not sure how tall it would get given the chance -
it didn't get the chance. I have to say I had never come across it
anywhere until this year in my veg patch.
There's only one thing for it: I must try and get a photo of it. If
the weather permits next week end, and assuming that I didn't pluck
every last bit of it, I'll take a pic and post a link to it.
I seem to recall some time back someone posted a website through which
one could access a database of photos categorised by shapes/colours
etc. to identify plants. Has anyone the url for this?
Thanks to all for the collective headscratching :-)

Cat(h)