Old 16-07-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens
The Joneses The Joneses is offline

Default Jalapeno Conspiracy

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers. I
have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting worse
with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely find a
hot one.

The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started growing
our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
garden and they are all the same.

Any thoughts?

js

I feel yer pain, little brother. A farmer down here in the chile capitol
said that the chiles on the ends of the field that got less water were
hotter. And to watch your variety. hth
Edrena