Old 16-07-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
ValveJob ValveJob is offline

Default Freezing chiles

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:43:14 -0700, Jon Shemitz
wrote:

The hot chiles that survived the winter are fruiting like crazy right
now, and I have to freeze ripe chiles every few days. That still
leaves me plenty to eat fresh, but the frozen chiles make a perfectly
decent substitute, come winter. I generally run out of frozen chiles
just as I can get a pretty decent stream of fresh chiles from the
greenhouse. I cook something with garlic and chiles maybe six nights a
week.

I rinse the chiles pretty thoroughly in cold water in a colander, and
let them drain briefly before plopping them in a freezer bag,
squeezing out all the air I can, then sealing and freezing the bag.
Today, I froze a large bag with six varieties.

Fwiw.

I've had good luck with just covering them with ice water after
blanching and then placing them in freezer bags with just enough water
to cover and surround them. That way I never get freezer burns and
you can just cook with the water as it melts.