Old 16-07-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default herb/weed id please?

On Jul 16, 3:48 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 16/7/07 14:18, in article
om, "Cat(h)"

wrote:

snip

Definitely Chervil: I read in one of the website that more mature
leaves turn a shade of bronze, which I described as purple. Not sure
how it ended up in my garden!
Thanks again!
Cat(h)

I'm glad you've found it but if you're pulling up dill and chervil, are you
on what used to be somebody's herb garden? That would explain how it ended
up there.

No, the site used to be mostly scattered with rubbish and slabs of
concrete when we bought the house 4 years ago :-)
The dill is my own doing. A single specimen set up shop between veg
and ornamental plants, having emigrated from my herb garden last year
(where incidentally, dill did appallingly badly). It was so huge and
gorgeous I kept it (and used it generously). But I didn't behead it
in time, so it self seeded profusely. The weather has been appalling
here for the last two months, and I have been busy in work, so I
hadn't been spending any worthwhile time in the garden in ages. I
ended up with a veritable rainforest of the stuff between the veg and
one of my ornamental beds. I plucked it all over this week end,
keeping and freezing as much of the fronds as I could (I love dill in
salads and with fish).

The chervil is the real mystery. Never saw it before, and this year
there was quite a bit of it at the foot of my beans. I must ask my
neighbours if they grow it - that might be the explanation.
I'm quite chuffed though, and nearly sorry I plucked it like a weed.
Though I suspect there is still some about, which I may just leave
there and harvest for culinary purposes.

Cat(h)