Old 16-07-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kiran Kiran is offline

Default Sprinkler advice

There was some discussion of sprinkler here. I am a newbie too and
would appreciate all advice about my specific situation:

1. Two 30' x 60' backyard TRIANGULAR lawns (flowers along the long
edge). There's a walkway along the diagonal edge which needs to be
avoided.

(This is a 30 x 60 rectangular lawn in which the previous owners put a
diagonal walkway in the middle.)

2. Two 12' x 15' rectangular front gardens (no grass, only flowers and
plants, many delicate), with a walkway in the middle which need to be
avoided.

(Again, a 12 x 30 front yard with a walkway in the middle.)

3. Two 8' x 16' city parkway lawns, which can be watered together as
one 8' x 32', but there is a sidewalk along the long edge that needs to
be avoided.

As you can see, we need control over where the water goes, and also
over how powerful the spray is (due to flowers).

I am open to buying one or more sprinlers. When possible, I would
prefer flow control as well as metal construction. I don't need timer.

I am quite confused about various types (oscillating, impact, turrets,
etc) and would like advice on best types for our situation, with
specific brand/model recommendations if possible.

(Would like to avoid spikes because of 2-year old kids and also impact
type IF the jet would be too strong for them. They tend to run towards
any water.)