Old 16-07-2007, 11:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Tomato leaves turning yellow

dgk said:

Last year my tomato plants were doing fine and then the bottom leaves
started turning yellow and it moved up the plants. I did not get many
tomatoes out of the deal

The same thing appears to be happening this year. I took a leaf to the
local garden center and they said aphids and sold me some poison dust
(Bonide?). I would prefer not to use it since it says that it's bad
for humans and pets, and my cats roam the backyard.

If it were aphids, you'd see them. Do you?

Is there anything else I can do? Is it likely that I have aphids? I
thought that I would see those but I don't see them anywhere.

What are your watering practices? Over, as well as under-watering will
cause what you describe.

Do the leaf veins show any sign of turning purple (a sign of psyllids)?

Pull back a bit of soil at the base. Do the roots show any sign of rotting
(a sign of Fusarium oxysporum)?

Are the plants VFN (disease-resistant variety)?

Are you growing the plants in the same location as the ones you had trouble
with, last year? (REAL bad idea)

It could be a lot of things. Watering practices can mimic other problems,
which is why it was my first question. =)

--

Eggs

-For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.